Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Summer Vacation is Over, Recent Auroral Activity



Well, my blogging hiatus is over like the 24 hours of daylight we've had. I must say I have missed writing about Alaska happenings, and believe me there has been a lot going on up here. My goal is to be able to share my summer adventures very soon. Most of the photographs have been edited and posted in the Alaska Photography section. I am in the process of re-tooling that page as well.


Recently, with the coming darkness, it has been possible to view the very active aurora. Massive solar flares have been colliding with the earth's atmosphere, causing impressive auroral displays. I thought I would share a few photos along with my first timelapse video of the aurora. It was more of a test run, but I think it is still a neat clip.






While I was taking the shots, a charming couple from the UK stopped by and chatted with me. I hope that the weather hasn't completely ruined their time in Denali, but that is definitely the norm. Look for more cooler timelapse videos on this blog in the near future.





3 comments:

  1. Hey Colby,
    I'm a little bit sad for just seeing these pictures. Would be awesome to see the aurora borealis for real. But thank for these nice pictures!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. This helps people like me who have never seen Alaska in all it's glory! More time lapse please!

    Love, sister

    ReplyDelete